Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Changing Views

From Logan,

Today we got to visit the KAPSARC site here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Unfortunately, we did not get to take any pictures since it is a government site. The logistics of the building and the workforce and safety involved were extremely impressive. We learned tons about different construction topics including advice on interviewing that you cannot put a price on.

In only two full days of being in Saudi Arabia, I have already learned more than I could have imagined. Coming into this trip, my views on the Middle East were a bit skeptical. After being here in person, my views have changed dramatically. The people here are extremely hospitable and have been nothing but generous to all of us. I feel like the news in America skews people’s views of this region in a negative way. I feel that the one major thing that I can do when I get back to America is to promote that the Middle East is a great place to be.

I also did not expect Saudi to be so similar to life back home. There are American chain restaurants such as Fridays and Applebees throughout the town of Riyadh. Before coming here, I would have never expected to see everyday life be so similar to that in America.

That’s all for now.

1 comment:

  1. Bloggers
    This is great stuff you are posting for us back home and I look forward to your updates. Keep them coming and some pictures would be great as well.
    The video's are entertaining especially the part on the "pony" as the french would say.

    ReplyDelete