Thursday, May 26, 2011

Departure from the homeland, to the homeland

In exactly one hour, this study abroad experience in Saudi Arabia will be nothing more than a series of memories. Every impression, every thought, and every feeling will become accessible only in reminiscent fantasies and misplaced feelings of nostalgia. But that which remains in thought is powerful, and will forever re-forge our self-perception and expand the capacity of our knowledge as students and more importantly, human beings. On this trip, we have all learned a tremendous amount about the international construction industry, Saudi Arabian customs, life as an FTR employee, each other, and perhaps most importantly, ourselves. Although I feel a great deal of grief now as I am attempting to capture my last thoughts before we depart, I can confidently say that I am happy, so dearly happy, to have been a part of such a groundbreaking academic program that broke the barriers of both intellectual and social magnitudes.

Specifically, I applaud everyone on the FTR Staff for their hard work, preparation, and patience with us as a group, and my only wish is that everything you have taught us is transmitted throughout Purdue University as a whole and beyond. Your zealous efforts required to compose this program reflect and characterize your love for academia and excellence, and for that I say, "Thank you". I can only dream of working with a staff half as genuine as yours, and I look forward to working with each and every one of you someday.

Finally, I want to thank every citizen of Saudi Arabia that we have come across. Whether you are an SBG employer, a student at King Saud University, or a random stranger that we may have bumped into, your interaction with us helped mold this entire experience, one with no regrets, and for that I am eternally grateful. This is why I say goodbye to my homeland, the land of my culture, my religion and my people, because I am truly leaving the place of my origin and it does hurt, but this is why I can also say that I hope to see you all again soon and visit this beautiful city of Riyadh sooner rather than later. Goodbye Saudi, and see you soon, Irvine.

-Nazir


No comments:

Post a Comment