Thursday, May 19, 2011

KSU-First Impression

Wow. Just...wow. 34 buildings. $2.2 billion. 14,000 workers on site. 52 tower cranes. 130+ crawler cranes. My God.

After spending the morning and early afternoon on perhaps the largest job I will ever set foot on, I have to say that I am indeed humbled. Construction on such a massive scale is unprecedented, and my hat is off to SBG and all of the FTR crew for getting this job to where it is now. As you might know, the entire structure is done with cast in place or precast concrete, and as a result this University will probably be around forever.

As a group, we learned a lot today. We were lectured on project management skills as well as scheduling and its importance to this job, specifically. The University schedule is very unique, seeing as it is constantly modified and changed, but must still adhere to the project completion date of October 31st, 2011. The king is coming that day and it must be prepared and finished for his arrival.
If you can tell, I am just assembling randomized thoughts in a somewhat coherent pattern at the moment. It was indeed an overwhelming day and I think I might need to settle down and reflect on everything we saw. It'll be very interesting to come back on Saturday and discuss safety on this job in particular. I'm definitely excited for that.
Hope everyone back home is enjoying the summer as much as I am, and I look forward to providing more fun info about the trip. Tonight's plan: Desert Safari.
-Nazir

No comments:

Post a Comment