Thursday, June 14, 2012

Some of my learnings

Okay since we have been doing the same routine this week as the previous we I figured I would write about things I have learned here thus far.  So here are some differences and similarities between America and Saudi Arabia, Riyadh. The food, like America is really good and typically about the same price if not cheaper than American food. Their trade mark food is shawarmah which is a shaved meat sandwich, wrapped in a thin bread. They typically dip in in humus but I don't really care for humus. Next, The weather is hot, like 110 hot and midday can be pretty miserable if your out for awhile.  But I love walking to the grocery at night when it has cooled down to about 80 or so. There is little humidity if any here unlike Indiana where you drink in air.  Next, Muslims pray 5 times a day, during work they stop what they are doing almost instantly and shut down the stores. If your inside you may stay, but typically you can't leave. You can keep eating or shopping. But the prayer schedule is something we all must consider when planning our day. It seems like we are always running to a store when it is about prayer time and sometimes we just barely make it and sometimes we just barely miss the window haha. The schedule is something like 4am, 7 am, 12pm , 7pm , 8pm . The 4 am prayer, I've been told is for very devote Muslims typically. I will write more about my leanings next time, until then, all is well and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment